Christopher Stewart, otherwise known as “Tricky,” must have hardly left the production seat in 2010. Besides working on Ciara’s Basic Instinct with frequent collaborator The-Dream, Stewart produced several other albums and singles over the year. If you’re looking for something to add a little variety to your repeat listens of that album, you’re likely to enjoy these other 2010 albums as well.
- Teenage Dream Katy Perry: Stewart was one of the many contributing producers for Perry’s second album. He also helped write the three tracks that he produced, namely: “Circle the Drain,” about Perry’s failed relationship with Gym Class Heroes frontman Travie McCoy; “Who Am I Living For?,” a song inspired by the biblical character of Esther; and “Hummingbird Heartbeat,” about Perry’s relationship with fiance Russell Brand.
- No Mercy T.I.: Tricky and The-Dream produced the title track for T.I.’s seventh album. “No Mercy” was featured as the sixth promotional single for the album. Conceptually, the album completes a trilogy that started with T.I. vs. T.I.P. and continued with Paper Trail. Lyrically, T.I. touches on issues ranging from his time in prison to his thoughts on love.
- Love King The-Dream: While The-Dream handled most of the production duties on his third studio album, Tricky did step in to produce his friend’s single “Panties to the Side.” The album received generally positive reviews and garnered numerous comparisons to Prince and R. Kelly, especially for The-Dream’s tongue-in-cheek racy lyrics.
- Love? Jennifer Lopez: Tricky Stewart worked with Lopez on several tracks on her latest album, notably “Good Hit,” “Louboutins,” and “Villain.” In addition, his production company RedZone Entertainment assisted Sean Hall on “Greatest Part of Me.” Most of the songs try to provide some answer to the title question. If you’re woundering what “Loubotins” refers to, it’s the name of Christian Louboutin’s fashionable designer shoes line, recognizable by their red-lacquered soles.
- Burlesque Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Cher & Christina Aguilera: Tricky was an ideal candidate to work with these artists on the extravagant R&B soundtrack for this film. He co-wrote two of the songs with Aguilera and worked on a number of other tracks. Several cover songs are featured on the soundtrack, including Etta James’s “Something’s Got a Hold on Me” and Marilyn Manson’s “The Beautiful People.”
- Bionic Christina Aguilera: As mentioned above, Stewart also worked with Aguilera on several tracks for her 2010 album”Desnudate,” “Glam,” and “Prima Donna.” Just as with Ciara, Stewart manages to capture Aguilera’s distinctive style while playing up a new electropop sound.